ford territory

For the Ford folk!
'98Pudge
Been here a while

Unread post by '98Pudge » January 17th, 2010, 7:35 am

Azza,
what a relief... gotta say, for a vehicle built in Australia, it seemed very shortsighted. So only the gearbox was vunerable, and only on that model, eh?
Is there any truth to the disc brakes warping prematurely myth too?
-Cheers, GR. [url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=3303&im=1]PUDGE![/url] [align=left][b][url=http://www.4rocs.forumotion.com/][size=134][font=Arial][color=green]4ROCs Offroad & Adventure[/color][/font][/size][/url][/b][/align]
[align=left][b][font=Arial]The Friendly 4x4 Forum[/font][/b][/align]

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » January 17th, 2010, 12:21 pm

I drive a 2WD Territory (work vehicle) and we have another 6 or so on the fleet. Certainly NOT suited to off-road (even AWD I suspect) but we do manage to bounce them around Civil Construction sites pretty well.

Overall a comfortable CAR, quiet with good handling etc. The back seat has plenty of room and the rear cargo area is useful in size. Mine uses 13.3L/100 around town and is pretty much the same interior wise as the first of the BA Falcon I had 5 or 6 years ago!

My advice- why bother with the AWD? It's never going to be an off-road suited vehicle. Best have your mate re assess his requirements and get into a "proper" 4WD...or stick to the 2WD version and treat it like a car.

We dont seem to have suffered any of the issues outlined bove on our fleet but we do keep the maintenance up. Our next vehicles will most likely be diesel dual cab 4x4's.

cheers!
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

stubbsy351
Here and there

Unread post by stubbsy351 » January 17th, 2010, 12:46 pm

thanks for the advice, i doubt he would use it off road anyway, might try to drag him to fraser island at the end of the year(that would be about it i guess). but he is still undecided as what to get.

tayz
Getting to know the place

Unread post by tayz » January 26th, 2010, 3:59 am

Ive got an 04 model and its great, thirsty but I put it on gas. I got the front brake hoses replaced by ford on a recall. They are ***** for offroad but are great as a family car.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » January 26th, 2010, 11:26 am

its the new falcon wagon really.....as ford don't offer a wagon version of the FG....

AWD would be useful for dirt roads and in the wet, but i wouldn't take one any further...and the RWD versions have traction control anyway, so aren't that much worse off than many older AWD vehicles with no traction control system...

engine is well suited to LPG (Ford offer a factory LPG falcon, though it doesn't appear they do the same with the Territory), and makes them cheaper to fuel than a prius :)

as stated above, the straight six isn't the most fuel efficient unit going around, but it more than makes up for this with its abundance of low to mid range torque...

6 speed auto is only available on the AWD versions too....but IMO its worth the extra...its a ZF unit, and from all accounts, is a decent bit of kit....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

azzadazza
Here and there

Unread post by azzadazza » January 28th, 2010, 4:48 pm

'98Pudge wrote:Azza,
what a relief... gotta say, for a vehicle built in Australia, it seemed very shortsighted. So only the gearbox was vunerable, and only on that model, eh?
Is there any truth to the disc brakes warping prematurely myth too?
disk brakes on front warping is no myth but some cars dont do it so it must be more driving style than anything.

diff bushes in front and back standard replacement items for alot of the higher kms ones. also shock bushes in rear, knuckles in rear, blade bushes in rear, top and lower balljoints in front, d-rubbers in front, link rods in back. all these common replacement in country conditions.

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » January 28th, 2010, 6:09 pm

chillipepperz wrote: My advice- why bother with the AWD? It's never going to be an off-road suited vehicle. Best have your mate re assess his requirements and get into a "proper" 4WD...or stick to the 2WD version and treat it like a car.
AWD suits many people and are a smart buy if you dont plan on going 'off road'. We downsized from a cruiser to the new model Rav4 simply because our camping no longer required the articulation of a 'real 4wd'. We needed more clearance than a 2wd, 4wd traction for mud trails, sand and snow, a wagon and something that was comfortable and easy to drive. The AWD meets these requirements perfectly. This is probably why AWD's sell like hotcakes, they meet a niche.

To have forked out another 20k to get a prado or pajero so we had a 'proper' 4wd would have been a silly choice. Horses for courses of course!

cheers

stubbsy351
Here and there

Unread post by stubbsy351 » January 28th, 2010, 8:20 pm

i believe even the BA falcons had warpage issues with front brakes, so thats not a big deal. They do seem like a decent enough car though and i would imagine parts would to a bit cheaper than the Toyota/ Nissan equivalent vehicles.

TUF-35T
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TUF-35T » January 28th, 2010, 9:23 pm

i love mine 2005 ghia leather and tvs for the kids cant fault it other than a couple of hiccups withe the power windows hasnt missed a beat

shane
[align=center][font=Arial Black][size=134][u]DRUNKEN FAB [/u][/size][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Arial Black]i just stand there and watch[/font][/align]

pmturnbull
Avid Poster

Unread post by pmturnbull » January 29th, 2010, 7:26 pm

my father inlaw is the kind of bloke that dosen't service any of his cars (idiot spends more on cigarettes). He has a territory and had its first oil change at 86000km and it has never missed a beat.
The car has now clocked over 120000km and never had any warrantry problems not that ford would have had to do anything due to the lack of servicing.

for the size of the car nothing handles or goes as hard for the money in the suv market.

Wombat200
Been here a while

Unread post by Wombat200 » April 16th, 2010, 9:59 pm

The Territory is a Car with a personality disorder....... It has the high body & high centre of gravity of a 4WD with all the accompanying poor handling, yet few of the benefits of a decent 4WD vehicle.... It's a fashionable, rather than really functional, vehicle. OK for a dirt-road / ski fields tourer, but not much more. And with the poor fuel economy, you wouldn't get too far off the main roads anyway. The dealers are screaming for an E-Gas or diesel option. They're nice to drive (a bit barge-like), but lacking in front-seat room for what is a big car......

We have a fleet of them at work - all AWD. They get driven HARD & FAST - significantly above the speed limit most days, high-speed manouvering, bounced up over kerbs, etc.

At one point, with the different recalls, they had severe limitations placed on them (until the work was completed - we couldn't take them off the road as we have operational requirements that have to be met). No high-speed work, no rough roads, etc, until each vehicle had the upgrades made. Was VERY embarrassing for Ford & they copped a LOT of grief from us over it. Made them look like gooses in the eyes of the Govt....

Barra-2
Been here a while

Re: ford territory

Unread post by Barra-2 » April 5th, 2011, 10:45 am

We have one in our club and the owners have a great time in it.

It has been lifted and has just had steel bash plates put on last week.

Have a look at some of the fun it has had here.
viewtopic.php?f=198&t=88202&p=1370656#p1370656

90Terrano
I'm new, be nice!

Re:

Unread post by 90Terrano » July 28th, 2011, 6:22 pm

dazzler66 wrote:
chillipepperz wrote: My advice- why bother with the AWD? It's never going to be an off-road suited vehicle. Best have your mate re assess his requirements and get into a "proper" 4WD...or stick to the 2WD version and treat it like a car.
AWD suits many people and are a smart buy if you dont plan on going 'off road'. We downsized from a cruiser to the new model Rav4 simply because our camping no longer required the articulation of a 'real 4wd'. We needed more clearance than a 2wd, 4wd traction for mud trails, sand and snow, a wagon and something that was comfortable and easy to drive. The AWD meets these requirements perfectly. This is probably why AWD's sell like hotcakes, they meet a niche.

To have forked out another 20k to get a prado or pajero so we had a 'proper' 4wd would have been a silly choice. Horses for courses of course!

cheers
Rather than start a new thread about Ford Territory, I thought I might tag onto this one.

My brother-in-law has been towing a light low-profile van with an old Commodore (gas), and asked me to check out 07/08 Ford Territory pros and cons (mainly the really bad points). He knows the fuel consumption is not good.

These days, he wouldn't go off-road / off-bitumen much. The worst he encountered recently in 6 weeks ex Perth to Adelaide - Melbourne - NSW north coast - Brisbane and return, was floods around Nambucca which held everyone up for 6 days.
He's after a vehicle with clearance, comfort, ease of driving that can tow a full-size van - not sure of the towing weight (he's buying a S/H one someime), probably under 2200kg.

(My advice was to get a Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe, but he's a Holden/Ford guy).

Eddy

Re: ford territory

Unread post by Eddy » August 24th, 2011, 8:38 am

The Daughter and SIL have the AWD, and happy with it.

Used for towing, as well as shopping centre car parks, and the inevitable take the kids to ... etc

They've had very few issues with it, and their fuel consumption improved once I convinced them that 10 - 20 psi just wouldn't cut it ...
Gets them to our campsites no probs, not serious offroading but still an area where 2WDs require the occasional tow.

The benefits of AWD show up when towing, especially when the road is a bit wet & slippery. four wheels working instead of two makes the difference.

Return to “General Ford”