View topic - hilux wiring and speakers..

hilux wiring and speakers..

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Been here a while

hilux wiring and speakers..

2004 toyota hilux dual cab,
i plan on replacing the current 2x DIN size cd player with a normal DIN size cd player and UHF, and was wondering if toyota runs the rear speaker wires in the loom at all, and if so what colours are they? my rear doors dont have speakers in them, but they have the vent and raised section for where the speakers go, can i by a propper mount from toyota to mount my speakers in the door?
i assume the raised vented section (in the rear door) is for the speakers in the sr5 version, and only at a guess i would assume that toyota would run the speaker wires to near by (thinking behind the seat belt kick panel?)

can anyone confirm this for me before i start rip tearing my hilux apart?

any advice you guys can give me, or ideas on how you have done yours would be much appreciated...
2004 3.0td dual cab hilux. 31" bfg m/t's. toyota bar. long range tank. G.M.E uhf. IPF lights. and a center consol (beer) fridge.

Unread postby rosedog » April 2nd, 2007, 7:03 pm

Here and there

I dont know about the wires but the speaker mounts you can buy at any stereo shop. They can get universal and also model specific type. Can also get wooden ones and cover them yourself to suit your car type and colour.

Cam.

Unread postby corbypatrol » April 2nd, 2007, 7:13 pm

Been here a while

As far as hooking up your new cd player, The best way in my opinion is to get an adapter lead to suit your car, Supercheap, Repco, etc should sell them for about $20 and they usually come with the colour codes,
Just wire the adapter to the loom on the back of your new stereo and plug it straight into you vehicles harness, no cutting of factory wires and stuffing about to work out which wire does what, and if you want to swap back for some reason, you just unplug him and plug the old deck back in.

Unread postby Prickle » April 2nd, 2007, 7:22 pm

Part of the furniture

There won't be any wires there. You are better off running your own anyway as the factory ones are too small especially with an aftermarket player.
I would be surprised if there isn't already a speaker mount in door if there is already a grill there for them, they will probably be for quite small (around 5 1/4") speakers but you should be able to get one that will fit.

If you do have to run the wires, take your time and do it properly the end result is much much better, not to mention nicer to live with.

as for the rest of the wires, there should be some kind of a legend on teh top of the cd player that tells you shich is which.

enjoy
Baz
Moderate amount of kit......... Still a bloody long list to go!

Who needs Bling when you've got Black sunnies?

Unread postby Bazza_rips » April 2nd, 2007, 7:26 pm

Been here a while

Bazza_rips wrote:There won't be any wires there. You are better off running your own anyway as the factory ones are too small especially with an aftermarket player.
I would be surprised if there isn't already a speaker mount in door if there is already a grill there for them, they will probably be for quite small (around 5 1/4") speakers but you should be able to get one that will fit.

If you do have to run the wires, take your time and do it properly the end result is much much better, not to mention nicer to live with.

as for the rest of the wires, there should be some kind of a legend on teh top of the cd player that tells you shich is which.

enjoy
Baz
from previous experience with falcons and commodores (which are pre wired for all extras) i assumed that there would be rear speaker wires there, but you are correct, i should run my own bigger cable any way. the doors have a hole cut in them, and a big gap between the door and the trim, when i checked out the front they have a speacial shaped mount so the speaker clears the window, yet still clears the trim aswell. (this is why i need a mount,as the bottom of the window will hit the top of the speaker when its wound down)..
2004 3.0td dual cab hilux. 31" bfg m/t's. toyota bar. long range tank. G.M.E uhf. IPF lights. and a center consol (beer) fridge.

Unread postby rosedog » April 2nd, 2007, 8:29 pm

Part of the furniture

the speaker wires wud be ther sumwer but wudnt go as far as the door, my old camry had the rear speaker wiring loom but no speakers as well as my 4runner, but yes run the wires that come with the speakers as factory wiring is to small for high powered speakers, U cud always swap your door cards at the wreckers for sum SR5 ones that may of had rear speakers, that way u hav the surround ot mount them to, If im not mistakin our prado has 6" speakers so im asuming that the lux's wud be the same.

Unread postby A1 Mech » April 2nd, 2007, 8:40 pm

Part of the furniture

My hilux had no speaker wires going to the rear. 2002 model. The only wires in the stock loom connection were for the front speakers and the usual positive, negative and earth. As previously mentioned, far better of rewiring the fronts when you add the wiring for the rears.
2002 Hilux Dual Cab - TJM Steel Bullbar - 31" Wrangler MTR's - Lightforce 240's - Redarc Dual Batts, DIY Roof Console, Fridge Slide & Drawers - ARB Canopy - Safari Snorkel - Rhino Racks

Unread postby Courts InSession » April 2nd, 2007, 10:02 pm

Here and there

Hey rosedog go see Dave at sun air and sound. He will be able to look after you there. Tell him cameron sent ya.

Cam.
2001 Nissan Patrol GU Wagon 3.0 Turbo diesel
Got Muddies.
Looking for a bullbar.
Cam.

Unread postby corbypatrol » April 3rd, 2007, 2:10 pm

Avid Poster

i ran the wires to the rear when i replaced my front speakers and wire in my 2002 hilux. i think (from a hazy memory) they are in the loom at the stereo h/u but end somewhere under the dash and dont travel to the back doors.

i havent put speakers in my back doors yet though so cant help there, but will be interested to see how you get on

Unread postby Tri_Lon » April 3rd, 2007, 3:39 pm

Been here a while

got on to toyota today, i can buy the rear speaker mounts from them, come with cheap arse speakers, for only $105 each.... i quietly backed away from the counter, and ran like hell.... but not before grabbing the printout, so i reckon il make my own. maybe il install something behind the rear seat also...
am away for the week but will get stuck in next week when i get back.
will post up some pics when im done.....
thanks corbypatrol, i will go see them and see what we can work out.

Unread postby rosedog » April 4th, 2007, 7:27 pm

Been here a while

i have a 04 hilux as well, i did the same thing , i pulled all the kick panel out and chased the loom back and there is no wires for the rear doors

Unread postby smokie greylux » April 4th, 2007, 7:36 pm

Here and there

i have put rear speakers in a 04 hilux and there are no wires from factory, also you can fit 6" speakers front and rear and i just used a piece of 6mm ply to adapt and give clearance from the window in the down position for the rear, it is not a big job just take your time and make cardboard templates.

also if you are puting in a single din head unit the space left over can be good for a UHF and will make it all look factory if done right.

Unread postby lambsy » April 7th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Been here a while

lambsy, did you use the original speaker mounts for the front 6" speakers? thats the reason im going for a single DIN unit so i can fit my UHF underneath...

Unread postby rosedog » April 7th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Return to General Tech