IPF Spot Light Globes

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Simon
Been here a while

Re:IPF Spot Light Globes

Unread post by Simon » May 27th, 2004, 3:41 pm

So You have already directly compared the different globes (IPF/Tungsrm/Narva/HIR) ?

So did you find the NARVA or Tungsram brighter than the IPF or not?

Did you compare side by side at the same time?

(Ive done some little experiments recently in a fleet of identical vehicles, and using different light globes, and drivers "perceive" a light to be better when they think it has "130watts" written on it ;)
then after adding some different drivers that didnt know what lights were fitted the y actually picked the one with +50, 55watters in them over the 100 and 130 watters :o

Altho the reason they are brighter is because of the assosiated voltage drop using the higher wattage globes without upgrading wiring, but those drivers that knew they had 130s thought they were brighter.Thats why I try different globes in my lights at the same time, when trying new globes, to try and compare them directly.

Twisty

Unread post by Twisty » May 28th, 2004, 7:41 am

Got a globe yesterday, decieded to just get the onf for the time being. I got the Narva H3 130W and it cost me $11.95 from KB Auto.

Anyway installed it last night and low and behold the Narva is a lot brighter a more white light?

So do globes become a more yellow with age, or is the Narve globe a better quality? I'm going to one for the other spotlight today!!!

There were also those artic blue globes there to suit as well, but they were like $40(for a pair), are they just a waste of money? or worth the extra $7.00 a globe?

Simon
Been here a while

Unread post by Simon » May 28th, 2004, 8:17 am

TT, thats what I meant about different globes ;)

Altho I rate most narva stuff as very average, most of their headlight globes are top quality, usually made by Osram, who makes Hella globes as well as others :o

Dont bother with the "blue" globes, Ive tried a few and unless you want to look cool 8) they are certainly no better at light output.(and they usually only come in 50w anyway)

Probably the only improvement you can do is maybe try a HIR but dont go IPF, try to source some "Vestec"
or "Polararg", I think thats who supplys IPF, (but not sure.)

Tungsram actualy make the HIR globes, but they dont sell em ??? just sell em to other people who sell em under different names ???

toddy
Been here a while

Unread post by toddy » May 28th, 2004, 8:31 am

i wacked a pair of IPF HIR's in my headlights and i've gotta say that although the won't burn skippy's eyes out, the light they put out is alot more efficient and is sooooooo much clearer than the standard halogen.

Simon
Been here a while

Unread post by Simon » May 28th, 2004, 8:38 am

[quote author=toddy link=board=5;threadid=2946;start=0#msg46071 date=1085697101]
i wacked a pair of IPF HIR's in my headlights and i've gotta say that although the won't burn skippy's eyes out, the light they put out is alot more efficient and is sooooooo much clearer than the standard halogen.
[/quote]

Thats interesting toddy, I cant find anyone who sells or even knows of a H4 HIR globe :o.

Where did you get yours?

Are they HIR or some other "marketing special" that some companys are selling?

Twisty

Unread post by Twisty » May 28th, 2004, 10:26 am

[quote author=tritondriver link=board=5;threadid=2946;start=0#msg46069 date=1085696274]

Probably the only improvement you can do is maybe try a HIR but dont go IPF, try to source some "Vestec"
or "Polararg", I think thats who supplys IPF, (but not sure.)

[/quote]

So roughly how cheap can you get some HIR globes to suit?

Simon
Been here a while

Unread post by Simon » May 28th, 2004, 12:00 pm

IPF are the only ones Im aware of with a H3 globe, around $70-80 retail each!!

They only come in HB3/4 and H3, unless someone can enlighten me.

toddy
Been here a while

Unread post by toddy » May 29th, 2004, 6:52 am

[quote author=tritondriver link=board=5;threadid=2946;start=0#msg46074 date=1085697511]

Thats interesting toddy, I cant find anyone who sells or even knows of a H4 HIR globe :o.

Where did you get yours?

Are they HIR or some other "marketing special" that some companys are selling?
[/quote]

i bought them from ARB in adelaide, they were $140 for the pair.

Simon
Been here a while

Unread post by Simon » May 29th, 2004, 2:24 pm

[quote author=toddy link=board=5;threadid=2946;start=0#msg46315 date=1085777541]

i bought them from ARB in adelaide, they were $140 for the pair.
[/quote]

Sounds like you have been sold the 55/65 "maximum performance" globes, part #M17HC, they are not HIR.

Seems lots of salespeople are not to sure on what they are selling, (or do know but mislead?)

I could be wrong but I would be interested to know if they are the globes you have toddy.

toddy
Been here a while

Unread post by toddy » June 5th, 2004, 7:14 am

[quote author=tritondriver link=board=5;threadid=2946;start=0#msg46341 date=1085804687]

Sounds like you have been sold the 55/65 "maximum performance" globes, part #M17HC, they are not HIR.

Seems lots of salespeople are not to sure on what they are selling, (or do know but mislead?)

I could be wrong but I would be interested to know if they are the globes you have toddy.

[/quote]

no, mate, you are write.
i went to check the code on the globes so i could pass on the info to you...i couldn't find the packaging so i called ARB and talked to them about it. they confimed what you said, the HIR's aren't made in the H4, and that they are the MG(maximum performance) globes. when i asked why the salesperson told me they were HIR, they couldn't understand why he would have done that.
i work in customer service, and if i don't know about a product, i'll ask another staff member for assistance, not ******* my way into a sale. it seems as though the so called experts need to do some research on the products they are trying to flog >:(
i appologise for my mistake, i know now i'll be more careful next time ;)

Simon
Been here a while

Unread post by Simon » June 5th, 2004, 12:32 pm

Thanks for that toddy, I just wanted to be sure, because If you could get some HIR H4s I would want some ;)

Thing that annoys me about that is, someone has bullshitted you into buying something that is not what you expected.
I guess its lucky they are better globes than what you had, but from what Ive seen they are only like a Phillips " crystal vision " type globe which can be had for around $60 a pair.

And the reality is a +60GE globe is probably just as bright for around $30 a pair.

Beleive me, I know what its like to be burnt trying new things that are "supposed" to be the best thing since sliced bread that turn out to be just over enthusiastic marketing ploys with overpriced whiz bang technology >:(

jscottnjs
I'm new, be nice!

Re: IPF Spot Light Globes

Unread post by jscottnjs » February 18th, 2018, 11:34 am

A long time since this has been read but is it possible to upgrade the globes to LED? I have blown a globe and am wondering if i can upgrade, if so which ones ie wattage or is it the same even though they will ne led.

Return to “General Tech”