View topic - Chev 6.2/6.5L Diesel Engine Tips and Tricks

Chev 6.2/6.5L Diesel Engine Tips and Tricks

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Here and there

Re: Chev 6.5L Diesel Engine Tips and Tricks

hi to all , new viscous fan seems to be locked on all the time on my 6.5 . replaced it after old fan stopped doing it's job. temp gauge rises and falls with the speed of car telling me fan is on all the time. tried to stall fan (safely) at different stages of revs,temp,hot and cold. could any body assist me with their knowlege of tnis problem,thanks.

Unread postby wacker » January 3rd, 2011, 7:53 am

Part of the furniture

Are you still using the original radiator?. My fan is still the same one off the 1983 2H engine with no issues. You need to tell us what vehicle this engine has been fitted in. Les the Chev Guru has every answer to any Chev V8 issues known.

The Bear

Unread postby thebear05 » January 3rd, 2011, 8:14 am

Here and there

thanks people. have done 130000 with the old vis fan , all symphtoms (minimul lose of power,greater fuel consumption and of course noise from fan running all the time) have only happened since change of vis fan. my car is 1998 gu patrol, 6.5 fitted by brunswick,large radiator and cowling. motor only done 130000 . going to see the good people at brunswick 2morrow to ask about another vis and find out if there was problem with the h/duty vis they supply (reverse rotation with serp pulley)

Unread postby wacker » January 3rd, 2011, 9:35 am

I'm new, be nice!

hello gents..after reading about it for so long i finally made the decision to put a 6.5 diesel in my faithfull 80,very expensive but worth it love the power loooove the note..so i do have some questions im running a n/a ho motor..i would love some detials on the ho motor stamped on the block is ho2,it also has a seperate crank housing..and do i really really have to run an oil cooler? so far its hasnt run hot in fact i need to get hotter runs at 65c around town an on the open road...the oil cooler bit worries me as in my mind having oil lines can lead to problems with sticks an so on. an looseing oil in the bush scares me some wot.............kind regards pete :D

Unread postby soeasy » January 5th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Part of the furniture

Pete,
It is recomended that you run an oil cooler. The Chev engine only has some 8 litres of oil compared to your Toyotas 11 litre engine and oil cooler will add about another litre. After all running an oil cooler will assist with keeping the oil at a consistant temperature.
Les will be replying shortly and we will see what he has to say on the subject.

The Bear

Unread postby thebear05 » January 6th, 2011, 7:38 am

Been here a while

I have fitted an Amsoil dual-head bypass filtration oil set-up to mine. It is mounted where the winch would normally go and does away with the original filter under the motor. I (like you) was concerned about having oil lines..... I now have 4 hoses to worry about...... that may be exposed to the elements.

So, I fitted a buzzer to the oil pressure light. It saved my engine on the Stuart Hwy, just south of Woomera in 2007. I had over-engineered the original Amsoil installation by using very infelxible hoses rated @ 4000psi. This caused a catastrophic failure of the alloy adaptor on the bottom of the engine, which parted from the engine and dumped a large % of my oil onto the highway. The buzzer sounded immediately and I petunia the engine off and coasted/braked to a halt on the side of the road. No damage to engine. I was able to make a temporary fix and add about 5 litres of oil and get going again.

The beauty of the Amsoil system, apart from extending oil changes to 20,000klm+, is that it adds a further 2 to 3 litres of oil to the capacity.

Regarding the cooling fan.... mine had the original Nissan GU hub and was getting hot. A couple of years ago I spoke to Brunswick about it and they sold me a genuine Toyota 3F hub for about $250- and I got a suitable fan from RooDogs (non genuine) for about $70-. The Toyota hub bolts straight on to the Chev's water pump and is substantially beefier than the Nissan hub. However, mine is a multi belt set-up so I'm not sure what happens with the reverse-direction serpentine belted version......

Roachie

Unread postby Roachie » January 6th, 2011, 7:54 am

Avid Poster

Oil Coolers

Hello Pete, As the boys say you need more oil and an oil cooler. By pass filters are a great help in adding more and also the benefits of cleaner oil. Oil hoses are always a worry but correctly installed along the chassis, clamps must be used and particular care of sharp edge chafing. Regarding running in. Very simple do not spare it, drive like it's got no friends and load it up with a van etc, make it work hard up hills. I do not know of the separate crank housing and HO. Some pics would be a help. Les
Last edited by Les Addison on January 6th, 2011, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Les Addison » January 6th, 2011, 9:55 am

Avid Poster

Fan Hubs

Wacker, I suspect your fluid coupling is faulty as BD would have surely put the correct rotation one on in the first place, D of R arrow is usually visible. Les

Unread postby Les Addison » January 6th, 2011, 9:57 am

I'm new, be nice!

thnx guys for the help ..i will try to put up some pics once i get some more time, although it may be hard to show the seperate crank housing..all i know about the ho is they are a low comp high output motor, an supposed to be 191 hp out of the box but the dyno will tell the truth..the crank housing is supposed to be based on the duramax for strength..i decided this motor was for me as there is a chance i will run a supercharger..i was just hoping some one could confirm this me....just keep u all in the loop , myne has the serpintyne belt with all the chev accerories and brackets.looks very neat an tidy, im running a 4 core alloy radiator wich is actually 2 very big cores form natrad both inlet and outlet r on the drivers side with a plate in the top tank to run the water across to the passenger side before it runs through the core.. with some mods to the water pump an fan i got the 9 blade chev fan to fit with 20 mils of clearance to radiator..i also kept the the 5 speed and at the moment im still running the toyota clutch ..havnt changed the diff ratio as yet as i think i will just get a new fith gear made so i can keep my origenal gearing..... anyway thats about it sorry for the bad spelling but its been a long time since school...................

Unread postby soeasy » January 6th, 2011, 10:48 am

Here and there

thanks les ,just by reading this forum your the man and i and many thank thank you.
went on 1100 klm trip yesterday as i use car in transport industry and temp moved up and down a few times ,never ever getting above normal temp ,same with old fan.
should temp move at all with slower speeds.? bigpig suggest maybe termostat could be sticking . just been to brunswick and brought new thermos (160f) old ones were (89c) don't know if i'm going backwards but was not quiet happy with the temp (running too cold with new vis fan). run 130000 with old fan, darwin , port hedland 48dec and no movement on gauge. only changed fan because i noticed it wasn't blowing or spinning too much, maybe should have left it alone,but you never know. preventitive mantinance?
Last edited by wacker on January 6th, 2011, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby wacker » January 6th, 2011, 11:01 am

Part of the furniture

Pete,
My oil cooler hoses run along the top of the chassis mounted onto brackets. The oil cooler itself is mounted in front of the left side of the radiator. I do not have aircon as I always drive with the window down. There is no way possible that the lines could get damaged in the bush.

The Bear

Unread postby thebear05 » January 6th, 2011, 11:33 am

I'm new, be nice!

thnx bear i have put mine under the bonnet with an air scoop to direct the flow..oh and how do i post pics on here

Unread postby soeasy » January 6th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Avid Poster

Thermostats

It' very interesting about thermostats in general, A bloke in the Diesel Tech section was inquiring if he could get a cooler running thermostat and the parts man said no such thing, but in fact there are such things and strange enough they are called Tropical thermostats and are available for Landcruisers (maybe for other Toyota products as well). Here is the odd bit, they actually are set to keep the engine temp at a hotter temp than normal. This in fact slows the water speed through the radiator slightly and allows it to be exposed to the passing air for a longer period. This brings up the question of the water in the block doesn't move through as fast as well, and will raise the temp of it more. Engines are designed to withstand more than normal temps as long as the entire system is capable of dissipating it properly. It is controlled by the thermostat and radiator flow of a small amount of cooler than normal water when needed. The genuine Chev thermostats are set to open at 92 deg C which computes to around 190F and should open to a min of 10ml gap. They have done lots of tests on this over the years and have come up with the conclusion that 180F 85-90C is the best compromise. But, most really modern engines are run at much higher temps. Personally I prefer running at 180 -190 F. Les
Last edited by Les Addison on January 6th, 2011, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Les Addison » January 6th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Here and there

just put 160f stats in ,went aroud the block 10k and the thing is running even cooler. i bet there is alot of people out there that would like my problem

Unread postby wacker » January 6th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Here and there

hi les and all. what would be the syptoms of a viscous fan being stuck on as i can only find overheating problems on all parts of this computer. it's starting to send me crazier than i was already . thanks

Unread postby wacker » January 6th, 2011, 5:57 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech