View topic - 2H - fitting an oil temp and pressure gauge

2H - fitting an oil temp and pressure gauge

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Here and there

2H - fitting an oil temp and pressure gauge

ive got a few gauges that i have fitted up tp my 2h turbo. the reason for the oil temp gauge was to see if there was any marked drop in oil temp by letting the engine idle before petunia down (thats why we have turbo timers). however, after fitting the gauge, i have noticed the temp rise while idling. the temp sits around 50-55 deg max while driving, and goes up to about 70-75deg after idling. the gauge is a mechanical gauge. i have it mounted into a t-piece that is tapped into the top of the oil filter holer. does anyone have any ideas about why this would happen?

im thinking that maybe the sender should be mounted somewhere that allows it to get more oil around it (the t-piece doesnt have all that much room around it to allow for oil to flow). so im thinking about getting a fitting to replace the sump bolt that will hold the temp sender. will this help....?

if the gauge is accurate, then the only thing i can come up with is that at idle the oil pressure drops from around 100psi (average driving) to about 35-40psi, and due to the lack of oil pressure, the oil cooler (more like an oil housing on the side of the block on the 2H) does not cool the oil effectively. but then if this was the case, why would people recomend turbo timers for the 2h.....?????

Unread postby peteon2wheels » July 19th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Here and there

Re:2H - fitting an oil temp and pressure gauge

anybody....??????

Unread postby peteon2wheels » July 20th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Getting to know the place

Re:2H - fitting an oil temp and pressure gauge

well i dont know, but i think your onto something with the oil pressure, the fact that we have turbo timers isnt just to let the oil coil down, the fact is to let the whole motor cool down by letting it pass cooler air straight through the motor before it shuts down. The tubo when idleing doesn't use as much of the exhaust gas so it doesnt heat up the air before it goes into the manifold. So i would say that its all got to do with the flow rate of your oil and the fact that when your driving down the road you get the advantage of the wind coming through the engine bay etc to help in the fact of cooling the oil, the fact that the temp is sitting at 50-55 while on 100km/hr or so is a good sign, however unless it really starts to sit right up while idleing then i would worry about it, as your oil cooler is really only as good as the amount of air flowing through it and helping it cool

Unread postby bigjig180kwt_soota » July 20th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Return to General Tech