1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 1HDT Engine oil filter draining?

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
cu1HDTtoyota
I'm new, be nice!

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 1HDT Engine oil filter draining?

Unread post by cu1HDTtoyota » December 28th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Hi, I have a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser Turbo Diesel 4.2 ltr. 80 Series 1HDT. What is allowing the oil to run back to the sump emptying the filter? Is this a problem with the relief and check valves on the oil assembly? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Manny

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 1HDT Engine oil filter draining

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 28th, 2017, 7:42 pm

The relief & check valves really don't stop the oil filter/s from draining; they usually only work to make sure that the oil is in the system & circulating at the right pressure.... the filter retaining oil once the pump & engine is no longer running is generally down to a non-return valve which should be built into the filter, IF there is one in there &/or your engine calls for one!! Many oil filters & engines simply don't have or specifically require such a valve, even if you'n I think it'd be smart to get/keep oil pressure up quickly on start-up!!

So if you find the oil is running back into the sump & consider this to be a problem for whatever reason, then I'd suggest you should talk to your filter supplier & make sure that whichever filter/s you are using actually have non-return valves &/or that your motor actually calls for this feature! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 1HDT Engine oil filter draining?

Unread post by hoyks » December 28th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Is it a new issue, or been going on for a while?

There are a lot of counterfeit filters getting around that look like the genuine article. Maybe you got a dud filter.

wombats80
Avid Poster

Unread post by wombats80 » January 10th, 2018, 12:41 pm

How do you know the oil is draining back out of the filter emptying it? The 1HDT uses a Z334 same as the 1HZ. Unless its a rubbish filter, they all have oil non-return feature. It's not unusual to remove the oil filter and have no oil run out making a mess, it doesn't mean at all that the filter is empty. I'm guessing you're looking at the time it's taken to gain oil pressure when you start up.

1640hunter
Here and there

Unread post by 1640hunter » January 14th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I agree - why do you see it as a problem? Everyone one I've seen has drained back slowly - if you change the filter hot (ie normally) the filter will be full. If you change it cold the filter is pretty much empty. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's donaldson, baldwin, sakura, ryco etc. (as mentioned the drainback valve is in the filter). I don't worry about it

Return to “General Tech”