Automatic transmission jumping out of gear

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Andy219
I'm new, be nice!

Automatic transmission jumping out of gear

Unread post by Andy219 » December 3rd, 2017, 9:57 am

I currently own a 2011 4wd ford ranger dual cab
When driving in low speed approx 60-70kms it jumps out of drive I have to manually put it back in gear again has anyone heard ot have this problem and what could be the cause any info would be great

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Automatic transmission jumping out of gear

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 3rd, 2017, 3:33 pm

That's not an uncommon problem IF your selector mechanism/linkages haven't been adjusted properly or if any of it's been knocked/hit hard enough to bend/dislodge anything under there. To sort that, you'll probably hafta get underneath the vehicle, maybe even with a mechanics mirror/mirror on a stick & carefully inspect the selector & all its linkages! Driving hard thru rocky/rough terrain or pushing on thru the scrub & dozing little bushes & trees etc down can damage the selector mechanism/linkages this way, but so can just age & use... it might even be a torn or spongy engine or trans mount letting the engine & trans assy wobble around enough to hit the linkage on something solid & drop it out of drive. Similar resolution for that tho, you gotta get under there & carefully inspect everything! Another possibility, & with any luck, the most unlikely option, is that the internals of the trans have been left unserviced for long enough that the internals are gumming up &/or blocking with debris to the extent that the trans isn't able to hold a drive gear anymore... does it ever pop out of lower gears or take a loooong time to grab reverse & then do it with a solid clunk?!?

Regardless, some things to look at! Good luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “General Tech”