Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
daale
Here and there
Posts: 22
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by daale » June 10th, 2015, 12:20 am

Hey guys,

the below pic is of my new vdj79 cruiser ute.

its a brand new 2015 GXL, I've had it just over a month, its done 2000 kms and I've had it enclosed in my shed every night, I've washed it every weekend and it only saw a gravel road on the weekend just been. I live in the perth hills a good hour from any beach.

my front diff seems a little rusty for a new car? is this normal? I wanted to get an opinion before asking toyota.

My old nissans never got this rusty and they were old.

daale
Here and there
Posts: 22
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by daale » June 10th, 2015, 12:23 am

rusty front diff on new cruiser :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shann Low
Avid Poster
Posts: 765
Joined: April 2nd, 2014, 3:14 am

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by Shann Low » June 10th, 2015, 12:54 am

They do sit on a ship at sea on the way here. They also sit in storage yards outsoide before loading and same when unloaded here.

Normally "PD" (Pre - Delivery) by the dealer polishes everything up and they put it on a hoist and do everything else like any fluids needing attention etc.

You'd have thought they might have done something with that to my mind for a new vehicle.

To me in all honesty - yes - rust is an issue - but if it were ME (Personally) I'd seriously be MORE worried about radiation fallout from Fukushima while manufactured & stored in Japan awaiting shipping - than rust. And that's for ANY Japanese manufactured vehicle regardless of brand (so not just Toyota Landcruiser if that makes sense).

I wouldn't (knowingly) ingest Rice grown in japan for the same reason and I am guessing our food is tested probably when its imported, but when you think about it - you SIT inside a possibly irradiated vehicle for hours and hours & days weeks years, its possibly just as dangerous if not moreso.

Of course one pass over with a detector thingy would eliminate that threat...

The rust you can see probably won;t kill you but the radiation you don;t see just might - if that makes sense.

That aside if it were me? Id be tempted to remove as much of that as you can with a bronze wire brush (what you can get at) and then rust converter treat it, then prime and re paint it.

IF you can't sand blast the non accessible areas for fear of getting grit into everything (seals bearings suspension joints etc) there IS a way to bead blast it with dry ice beads - that evaporate to a gas and leave no grit residue (except the rust they remove).

You can hire a contractor with a truck to come in an do it.

BUT

On a new vehicle your dealer should be doing all this IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQS5el2Bbo

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/07/turn- ... -detector/

or not.

Cheers

daale
Here and there
Posts: 22
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by daale » June 10th, 2015, 10:47 am

thanks for the feedback.

daale
Here and there
Posts: 22
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by daale » June 10th, 2015, 11:18 am

has any body else had this issue with a new car?

daale
Here and there
Posts: 22
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by daale » June 10th, 2015, 11:37 am

spoke to the dealer, sounds their gonna sort it out

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Posts: 4735
Joined: July 5th, 2008, 9:12 pm
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by chris_stoffa » June 10th, 2015, 1:22 pm

daale wrote:has any body else had this issue with a new car?
Radiation .......... nah , not at all ;) :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

typhoeus
Need to get out more
Posts: 2058
Joined: February 6th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by typhoeus » June 10th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Hmmm. was wondering why I glow in the dark. . . . !

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1327
Joined: January 3rd, 2014, 8:04 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » June 10th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Shann Low wrote:They do sit on a ship at sea on the way here. They also sit in storage yards outsoide before loading and same when unloaded here.

Normally "PD" (Pre - Delivery) by the dealer polishes everything up and they put it on a hoist and do everything else like any fluids needing attention etc.

You'd have thought they might have done something with that to my mind for a new vehicle.

To me in all honesty - yes - rust is an issue - but if it were ME (Personally) I'd seriously be MORE worried about radiation fallout from Fukushima while manufactured & stored in Japan awaiting shipping - than rust. And that's for ANY Japanese manufactured vehicle regardless of brand (so not just Toyota Landcruiser if that makes sense).

I wouldn't (knowingly) ingest Rice grown in japan for the same reason and I am guessing our food is tested probably when its imported, but when you think about it - you SIT inside a possibly irradiated vehicle for hours and hours & days weeks years, its possibly just as dangerous if not moreso.

Of course one pass over with a detector thingy would eliminate that threat...

The rust you can see probably won;t kill you but the radiation you don;t see just might - if that makes sense.

That aside if it were me? Id be tempted to remove as much of that as you can with a bronze wire brush (what you can get at) and then rust converter treat it, then prime and re paint it.

IF you can't sand blast the non accessible areas for fear of getting grit into everything (seals bearings suspension joints etc) there IS a way to bead blast it with dry ice beads - that evaporate to a gas and leave no grit residue (except the rust they remove).

You can hire a contractor with a truck to come in an do it.

BUT

On a new vehicle your dealer should be doing all this IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQS5el2Bbo

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/07/turn- ... -detector/

or not.

Cheers
:rolleyes:
What the hell did I just read? :crazy:

Tell the dealer and they will sort it pretty quick, although it will probably just get a scrub and a coat of paint, rather then a new diff.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

mydmax
Need to get out more
Posts: 5384
Joined: August 4th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by mydmax » June 10th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Shann Low
If you find any make of vehicle which has had it's oils checked at pre delivery OR even at the free 3000km service, please let us know.
If you look at almost all, absolutely NO fluids are checked, (ie, filler and drains paint seals still intact), because they presume the maker did it and there is no leaks so it must still have the oil inside and therefore does not require checking. The presumption is the oils are filled by a regulating machine which fills correctly so why check?

A lot of people believe things which are not happening.

Shann Low
Avid Poster
Posts: 765
Joined: April 2nd, 2014, 3:14 am

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by Shann Low » June 11th, 2015, 4:01 am

There's a list of what PD should cover.

Not saying they do it - just that they actually charge and get paid to PD.

Re the radiation guff?

http://enenews.com/noaa-beaches-full-de ... didnt-test

http://enenews.com/govt-expert-west-coa ... never-slow

If its reaching the west coast of USA from japan then there's a fair odds on to even bet - that some has settled out on your car while its being manufactured and while it sits at the docks waiting to be loaded.

I'm not saying I wouldn't BUY a new Japanese manufactured car, just that IF I did I'd want to run a Geiger counter over it when new, to make sure I am not sitting in it for years with my nuts frying every day while I was trying to start a family for e.g.

Old batsard like me, the radiation would probably kill off any latent cancer cells and might actually be beneficial, since my reproduction days are long behind me, but maybe not so, some of you younger bucks.

If its checked at least you know you can rest easy.

What about Aussie rice? Why does Japan import so much Aussie grown rice when they have been growing their own since forever?

Is it so they can eat ours thats radiation free?

And / or is it so they can blend their contaminated irradiated locally grown rice, with our clean green non irradiated product to levels, low enough to export BACK to countrys like ours, so that we eat it, while they buy and eat our clean / non contaminated rice?

What would you do if you were a Japanese rice grower and all your rice was contaminated? Eat it? Nah - obvious - buy some non contaminated rice and import it then shandy it out with the contaminated product to low enough levels to still be able to sell / export it.

It's that or go broke.

What would we do if the accident were here and all our wheat was contaminated? (Make beer and die drunk?) :lol:

Its my opinion that since Fukushima went China syndrome and still isn't fixed - we probably should be checking anything brought into this country from Japan for its ability to glow in the dark!.

Its a simple & cheap enough procedure to do for a clean bill of health on a car you might sit in for 10 -20 years of you buy it new!.

OMMV - I probably won't live long enough to die from owning a possibly irradiated vehicle..... but would I want my young grand kids riding in such a vehicle? :confused:

daale
Here and there
Posts: 22
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by daale » June 11th, 2015, 10:39 am

you can see theres no paint under the spring perches, how would toyota miss that on a single truck?

i thought these things would all roll off the same assembly line been painted by a machine...
Last edited by daale on June 14th, 2015, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Posts: 4735
Joined: July 5th, 2008, 9:12 pm
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by chris_stoffa » June 11th, 2015, 11:23 am

Shann Low wrote:
I'm not saying I wouldn't BUY a new Japanese manufactured car, just that IF I did I'd want to run a Geiger counter over it when new, to make sure I am not sitting in it for years with my nuts frying every day while I was trying to start a family for e.g.

Old batsard like me, the radiation would probably kill off any latent cancer cells and might actually be beneficial, since my reproduction days are long behind me, but maybe not so, some of you younger bucks.

If its checked at least you know you can rest easy.
And if you did run a gieger counter over it would you know how to interpret the reading ? ;)

Daale, don't strees , radiation doesn't cause rust :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

GBC
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1748
Joined: October 13th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by GBC » June 11th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Looks similar to my last hilux. You are buying a dream with Toyota, not a great car. The reality hasn't matched the dream for years. You'll get some crap fob off from the dealer who'll do stuff all with it during warranty then try to own you when it's out. I hope your experience is better, but I've had a fair few cruisers and luxs to form my opinion over.

cmar
Avid Poster
Posts: 946
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Re: Rusty Front Diff - New Cruiser

Unread post by cmar » June 11th, 2015, 6:35 pm

And people laugh at Great Wall QC. In their rush to beat Ford to the top Toyota seem to have copied some of their assembly techniques. I don't think either Toyota or Nissan are what they were 20 years ago. Other brands however seem to have improved in that time, eg Hyundai / Kia.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “General Tech”