What type of rust protection to buy?

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Electronic rust protection systems

Unread post by vk1dx » April 24th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Anyone had any experience with these things. Or are they another furphy and money spinner.

Link: ELECTRONIC rust PROTECTION super h/duty - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 09-May-10 16:14:01 AEST)

Phil
Just enjoying this wide country.

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » April 24th, 2010, 7:08 pm

I'd give that 1 a miss. if you are going to get 1 buy one with couplers that go around the vehicle then back to the unit. a mate from work has had 1 on his triton for about8 years no problems yet. Only had mine for a couple of months so cant comment on it yet. If you grab the latest 4wd action theres a good write up on rust prevention systems.
Just my opinion anyway.
Dean
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » April 24th, 2010, 8:36 pm

if you want a ebay rust protection get this one:

Electronic Rust Protection- Corrosion Guard- 12 points - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 25-Apr-10 20:16:00 AEST)

i put in my patrol 4 years ago and never had any dramas, only took an hr or so to install and is set n forget, good value and australian made too
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » April 24th, 2010, 8:47 pm

[color="Orange"]smart has the plans

stupid has the stories[/color]

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » April 24th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Thanks Grimbo. I like the voodoo spell one best.

Phil

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » April 24th, 2010, 9:24 pm

I think the best thing is elbow grease and fish oil.

Thanks all

Phil

Travis22
Avid Poster

Unread post by Travis22 » April 24th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Lanolin.

Travis.

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » April 25th, 2010, 7:58 am

Thanks Travis.

When you come to think about it, lanolin would not smell as bad as fish oil.

Hmmmm

Phil

Travis22
Avid Poster

Unread post by Travis22 » April 25th, 2010, 10:48 am

G'day Phil,

I bought a 750ml or 1L (cannot remember) spray bottle of Heavy Duty Lanotec Lanolin along with a 4L bottle to refill the spray bottle with..........

I used about 2-3spray bottles worth doing the ENTIRE underside of my car plus a little here and there in the engine bay and also inside the cabin. I would easily have enough left of the 4L bottle to redo the entire car again.

Things to note, the stuff drips everywhere! Either i put to much on or thats just the nature of the beast... Just make sure you dont do it in your own garage lol. Outside on the grass, or on the street anywhere but your garage. The stuff is environmentally friendly but it takes some time to dissipate and its very slippery when wet and kinda sticky when dry.

The longer you can leave the car to sit the better. I dont think driving around town would matter but i took my car out 4x4ing about a week after putting the stuff on. It was a very wet and muddy trip and the chassis became coated in dirt and grit which stuck to the lanolin... Its taken about 6months worth of driving, 4x4ing and regular washing to clean off the grit. Everything is still coated, you can feel its there but ***** isnt sticking to it anymore like it did on that first trip.

When researching the stuff before buying:

I recall reading someone saying they coated there 4x4 but it wasnt used often and had sat for a couple of months and when used next he didnt experience dirt and ***** sticking to it everywhere.

I also recall reading someone spraying their car then heading to the beach shortly after... it was a total nightmare with sand sticking everywhere!!!

Something to think about anyways... all in all im very happy with the stuff now, but again next time i will avoid driving in the dirt for a least a month after coating the car with lanotec lanolin.

Travis.

BennyWA
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyWA » April 25th, 2010, 10:51 am

Had one for a few years, $800 odd dollars worth.... waste of money, still had some new rust come up...
Cheers, Ben

'13 FJ Cruiser

oldtrack123
Been here a while

Unread post by oldtrack123 » April 25th, 2010, 11:34 am

Hi Phil

Do not waste your money!!
Corrosion protection systems have been available to industry for over 50yrs
They are called Cathodic protection.
These snake oil devises play on that technology but with the method of application to a vehicle simply cannot work
I have had long term experience with the technology,so know what is required for them to work.
Lots of posts on forums explaining including some detailed ones by myself
Believers will believe just as for Firepower & ALL those other fuel gimmicks ,after all they have spent big money.
I would think those same people care for the vehicle washing well, keeping chassis free of mud, patching up paint chips, polishing etc

Mitcon
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mitcon » April 25th, 2010, 1:05 pm

I don't know if they work or not but I have been looking into them myself. There seems to be 3 main tyoes of systems out there.

1. The Cathodic system which you are all refering to does work very well, the only problem is it only works well on ships and oil riggs etc as they use a sacraficial anode. If your going to leave your truck underwater it'd work a charm lol.

2. The type using a Capacitive Coupling system, don't know if they work or not for certain but alot of people/companies swear by it with some even giving upto a 10 year warranty. 4wd Action in the latest mag did a story on rust prevention.

3. theres alot of other systems out there which just get you to attach a wire and the like which don't do anything they say and are a total con.

I think I might try one of the ones using Capacitive Coupling, no idea if it will work but not alot of money to see. But I don't think having one of these systems gives any excuse to not look after your truck and clean it well. You abuse anything enough it'll bust sooner or later.
Cheers Wayne

pedrodepacas
Avid Poster

Unread post by pedrodepacas » April 25th, 2010, 1:14 pm

I got a factory fitted rust protection by a place called six star solutions. This was fitted to a brand new subaru forester.
And guess what? i had rust form in the wheel well of the boot after just over 1 year.
apparently it was caused by a few metal shavings in the area from when the tow bar was factory fitted.
So I am a sceptic as to how these work.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » April 25th, 2010, 2:10 pm

im just going to install an irrigation pipe system to the under side of my car tucked up nice and tight n high, so when its time to clean, just plug the hose to the onnection at the back and leave it run for a while until its nice and fresh underneath, kind of like the old sprinkler idea, except this would have jets/holes facing towards anyhwree that mud and sand could hide
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

whitey86
Here and there

Unread post by whitey86 » April 25th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Hey guys i used to work for a battery company and the electronic rust protections were one of the main reasons i had 4x4 owners in to get new batterys , they just draw current constantly and place undue stress on the batterys.

Just use lanolin on the underneath , thats what i do and ive had no problems at all.
i have a mate at a wrecking yard who uses it to protect all the spares he has sitting out side and he swares by the stuff.

Also when you buy it get one with the citrus in it as it make cleaning alot easier and penetrates better.

Return to “General Tech”