View topic - Are Aluminium radiators any good?

Are Aluminium radiators any good?

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
I'm new, be nice!

Are Aluminium radiators any good?

G/day all had a nice day?? I did. Anyway what I would like to know if a 3 core aluminium raditior any good I want to fit it in to my gq 4.2 petrol as I need to replace it soon some people say the crack under strain like doing 4wd ing ect and others say never had a problem The way I see it it is mounted in rubber like the factory one. What r your thoughts ??? Plzzz :crazy:

Unread postby gazza-gq » May 18th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Part of the furniture

Re: Are Aluminium radiators any good?

I put a crossflow one in my Hilux when the OEM plastic radiator tank split. As long as you mount it a little flexibly, it should be fine. I had to modify the original shroud to fit, but t wasn't hard. Just make sure there is plenty of room between the core and the fan. . . 3 cores are thicker, and you want some space there.

Unread postby typhoeus » May 18th, 2013, 9:16 pm

I've had an alloy ebay one for 3 years now and it's fine. It's probably done a little over 80,000km since being installed.

Cheers Mick
Micks HID Projector Retrofits
All custom work and DIY kits available.
PM me or phone on 0403596123

Unread postby Mick. » May 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Avid Poster

Better than plastic and aluminum, not as good as brass and copper.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Unread postby cmar » May 20th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Here and there

alimunium is the the best for dissapating heat and that's what you want!

Unread postby datsun1600turbo » November 13th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Part of the furniture

datsun1600turbo wrote:alimunium is the the best for dissapating heat and that's what you want!

Unfortunately not.
Copper beats aluminum in heat conductivity.
After market aluminum radiatiors generally have multible cores and a greater fluid capacity than the oem units, so if you replace the oem alloy rad with a bigger aftermarket unit, it should disperse more heat, but it wont beat a similarly sized copper brass unit.

Unread postby dhc4ever » November 14th, 2013, 6:11 am

Need to get out more

Alimunium or Aluminium filled with wetar or water is just another radiator system.
Lots of people think more cores is better too.
More cores is harder for air pressure pass through and can cause less airflow and can reduce the cooling rate/dissipation of heat to the air. This thinking is different to the sales pitch of sellers of multi core units.

Motor bikes don't use multiple cores and they get rid of amazing amounts of heat from relatively powerful engines from small radiators. Airflow will be faster in most cases and so it may be the airflow rate which is what you want not necessarily aluminium or brass with thick cores.

A Magna single core aluminium radiator with it's electric fans will get rid of a large amount of heat on a 40 degree day, while a conventional 3 core holden radiator cannot handle it at all well and would boil/overheat. Both trialled in the same vehicle.

Unread postby mydmax » November 14th, 2013, 7:56 am

Return to General Tech