View topic - oil leaks from a Pajero

oil leaks from a Pajero

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
I'm new, be nice!

oil leaks from a Pajero

Hi there poeple, I have a 2001 nm pajero , petrol 3.5l, which at the moment is leaking a lot of oil through the tappet covers i guess, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? whether it might be losse bolts or something else?
cheers Watto1772

Unread postby watto1772 » February 18th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Been here a while

Re: oil leaks from a Pajero

Not so far but did in my dato, normaly check the bolts and gaskets :)

Unread postby Earp » February 19th, 2012, 12:21 am

Avid Poster

It is really common, I have a 2003 3.5 Kia Sorento (Mitsubishi 3.5 DOHC built under licence) and even it has the same leaks, also affects Mitsubishi Magnas,(have a look on the Magna forum, or ask any owner) you pull up at a light and it stinks right? Unfortunately it drops the oil right on the exhaust manifolds, If you look closely you may even see a wisp of smoke.
The rocker cover seals are rubber and over the years go hard. Once this happens the seal looses it's tension and the oil leaks out, these engines keep a fair bit of oil on the top of the head, the leaks are normally worse at the back where the engine slopes back.
Tightening the bolts probably won't work, as the seal is hard, in fact if overdone will permanently warp the rocker cover and then even new seals will leak.
The only real solution is to change out the seals, and do the spark plug tubes at the same time as they also leak on the inside, filling up the spark plug holes. Given that you have to rip off the engine cover and intake manifold to do this you might want to wait until cam belt and spark plug time and do it all at the same time. Or just put up with the leaks. Mine are still in the "smear" category but still stink on a morning startup. It seem a little bit of oil goes a long way.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Unread postby cmar » February 19th, 2012, 9:04 am

I'm new, be nice!

Thanks guys , I will check out those solutions, and go from there.
cheers

Unread postby watto1772 » February 19th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Here and there

It will be the rear cam tunnel plug seals. Two bolts on the back of each head and a round plug with an o-ring comes out right behind the end of the cam. Change the o-rings and replace and the leak will stop. Pop over to pajeroclub.com.au forums for more info on your NM.

Pat

Unread postby psproule » February 21st, 2012, 8:31 pm

I'm new, be nice!

cool thanks Pat.

Unread postby watto1772 » February 21st, 2012, 9:09 pm

I'm new, be nice!

psproule wrote:It will be the rear cam tunnel plug seals. Two bolts on the back of each head and a round plug with an o-ring comes out right behind the end of the cam. Change the o-rings and replace and the leak will stop. Pop over to pajeroclub.com.au forums for more info on your NM.

Pat

Hi Pat, with this solutuion would the engine need to come out?

Unread postby watto1772 » March 8th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Return to General Tech