Superwinch X9: Smashed to pieces!

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
ROS 500
Here and there

Superwinch X9: Smashed to pieces!

Unread post by ROS 500 » July 24th, 2011, 12:56 am

I was out wheelin yesteday and got bogged. So out came the winch, I had an extension strap and drag chain hooked up also, to reach the nearest tree. I was still to short to be able to use a snatch block and double back. The truck looked pretty darn stuck, also a bit of a ledge it had to climb. So I just hooked up the single winch rope, took up the tension, got in the truck and winched and drove it at the same time. The winch was having a pretty hard time, you could hear it straining and slowing down. I was trying to go easy on it, slowed down and checked a few times. Then finally I heard a huge bang, all the winch rope unwound off the drum and I found that the gearbox casing had let go in a big way. Sheered the housing off the end of the drum, and also spat a few pieces of caseing around the place. I'd like to know if it's normal to smash the case to pieces if you work the winch to hard?

ROS 500
Here and there

Re: Superwinch X9: Smashed to pieces!

Unread post by ROS 500 » July 24th, 2011, 1:42 am

P1014396.JPG
P1014397.JPG
P1014398.JPG
P1014399.JPG
P1014400.JPG
P1014401.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » July 24th, 2011, 7:47 am

What is the rating on the winch?
Which vehicle was it fitted to and how heavy is it?
How old was the winch?
When was the winch last serviced?
So you were bogged,
in sand?
in mud?
how deep? just to the wheels or stuck down to the chassis rails?

"I'd like to know if it's normal to smash the case to pieces if you work the winch to hard?"

In the case of a massive overload, well yes that can happen, generally the motor dies first due to over heating. From an engineering point of view most winches have a 30 to 50% safety margin, but previous damage, lack of servicing/lubrication and the odd manufacturing defect can change all of that.

Cheers

ROS 500
Here and there

Unread post by ROS 500 » July 24th, 2011, 8:17 am

It's a 9000 pound winch, fitted to a 97 hilux. The truck weighs 2 tonne, I was on the weigh bridge a couple of days ago. It was stuck in a deep muddy rut on the drivers side, front axle was pushing into the sandy muddy ground. The winch is a couple of years old and hasn't been serviced. I thought the motor would have went into thermal overload first.

furious
Been here a while

Unread post by furious » July 24th, 2011, 9:33 am

in the last pic it looks like some corrosion on the wheel.

CUSoon
Here and there

Unread post by CUSoon » July 24th, 2011, 10:55 am

Was there any grease in the gearbox housing? The gearset and housing all looks like it's corroded and hasn't had any grease in it.

Was it bouncing back on the winch when you were trying to drive at the same time as winch?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » July 24th, 2011, 12:04 pm

It's also possible that the clutch was not fully engaging if it was full of crud. This can lead to the clutch slipping and grabbing, putting shock loads on a smaller area than if the clutch was properly engaged.

Should have bought an Aldi... ;)

Struth
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Struth » July 24th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Did the car get traction, then lose it bouncing back on the cable, if so that sort of shock load can do it. Shouldn't but can.

Cheers

ROS 500
Here and there

Unread post by ROS 500 » July 28th, 2011, 8:22 pm

I to the superwinch distributer and had a chat to the bloke there, from what he was telling me, it's not very common to break the gearbox case. I told what happened and he seemed to agree with my thoughts that I overloaded it and pushed it to hard. He was also telling me, if I had shock loaded it I probably would have broken the plastic drive gear that connect's on to the motor. When I was winching I never got traction at all. There was a bit of grease on the gears, looks like vasoline, definatly looks like some corrosion. Time for a clea/service while its out. The new case is $230, and ol' mate told me to bring the winch along and he will check it over and test it.

big ben
Been here a while

Unread post by big ben » July 30th, 2011, 11:46 pm

I have the same X9 winch and had a crack in the motor mount plate. this was caused by dropping the winch on the motor end. The cast aluminium doesn't like a hit!

ROS 500
Here and there

Unread post by ROS 500 » August 7th, 2011, 10:23 am

I cleaned up the dirt and old grease of the all the winch gears. Greased it all up and put the new gearbox case on. Put it all back together and fitted it back in the truck. I wound the wire rope back on the drum and it's working perfectly. I'm surprised, I was expecting something else in it to be stuffed as well.

Return to “General Tech”