View topic - obd scanner for a hilux

obd scanner for a hilux

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
I'm new, be nice!

obd scanner for a hilux

Hi guys, just new here so i hope this is in the right section (mods feel free to move)

I have a 2004 hilux duelcab 5L-E with gremlins, and i thought i had a problem with the fuelshut off solenoid but it seems to be another sensor affecting its operation.

Long story short i was hoping to spend the money otherwised used for a tilt tray on a obd scan tool of sorts to extract the error codes from the ECU and narrow the problem down.

I've been looking at a bluetooth obdII unit that will work with my tablet, but i'm reading conflicting reports between protocols that toyota uses for the hiluxs- from ISO9141 / KWR2000 which the obd tool will read to M-OBD which it wont.

Can anyone here educate me please or steer me in the right direction! PS Toyota themselves didnt really know what I was on about lol.

Thanks in advance guys
2004 Hilux Duelcab 5L-E

Unread postby T-lux » June 22nd, 2011, 7:24 pm

I'm new, be nice!

Re: obd scanner for a hilux

Well I went ahead yesterday and bought a workshop manual (has the code meanings for the diagnostics and the pims for the obdII port) and i ordered from fleabay a bluetooth obdII interface (only $17) so i'll soon find out if it works- if not it'll be a cool gadget for our other cars.

The manual refers to obdII, M-OBD, and EOBD protocols so its still up in the air which is used.
2004 Hilux Duelcab 5L-E

Unread postby T-lux » June 24th, 2011, 6:46 am

Need to get out more

from hwat I understand the 5LE diesel hilux does not have an OBD2 port...the petrol one does, but not the diesel.

there is a diagnostic port in the engine bay, but my understanding is it is a toyota specific port.

The 2.7 liter petrol has an OBD2 port behind the ashtray (aparantly) and also has a toyota specific port under the bonnet.

I would be very interested to hear what you find out.

I have a hand held OBD2 scanner, but I have not tried it on my petrol vehicle yet.
I have a 5le diesel too..so yep interested.

cheers

Unread postby whizzo » June 24th, 2011, 9:32 am

Sounds like the 1HD FTE.
It has an "OBD" port (I think it might even be the same shape but different pins) put it uses the mobd protocol which is a Toyota secret thing.. and so there are no real readers for it :(
You can however short out two of the pins in the obd plug and the check engine light will flash in a series of flashes to tell you of any errors as far as I am aware..

Bear in mind this is all my research on the 1HD FTE I am assuming the hilux motor you are discussing is a similar age and idea.

Cheers

PS if you can figure out how to get some useful stuff out of MOBD I would be highly interested! It is one of those things lots of people want, a few claim to have success but it is eluding the main group of owners :(
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Unread postby stretch4x4 » June 24th, 2011, 9:37 am

I'm new, be nice!

My 5L-E has a OBD2 port (most vehicles after "96 do) , its above the clutch behind the bottom lip of the dash,hard to see if not looking for it. Given the supplied pins in it its looking like it might be M-OBD in protocol (bummer).

Stretch i wouldnt go shorting pins in the obd! It may damage your ECU. the diagnosis port on the engine is the one to short the pins on (TC and E1 on my engine) to count the check engine light flashes. Unfortunately is showing the all clear for me although i know i have a problem somewhere.
Last edited by T-lux on June 24th, 2011, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Hilux Duelcab 5L-E

Unread postby T-lux » June 24th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Ah yes not something I have tried just read about.
I thought the diagnosis port was the MOBD port but I could be mistaken..
I have found my diagnosis pot but not really looked further as I have only seen mixed results getting any more info :(

Unread postby stretch4x4 » June 24th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Been here a while

I may have a solution for you. I just received one of these Toyota Techstream
I purchased it from eBay for less than $27.

Plugged it into my HDJ79 with a 1HD-FTE and it worked. Read all that the engine module had to offer. Its a little fiddly to get the thing going fully but if you send me a PM then I'll help you out with it.

D.T.

Unread postby DeepThought » January 9th, 2013, 8:04 am

Really??!!! :D

This excites me a lot!

Don't suppose you could send us a list of all the data it can read?
Geez good price also!
Might be time for a new thread if it works!

Unread postby stretch4x4 » January 9th, 2013, 8:15 am

Been here a while

OK I'll try to do a few screen dumps and post them up here for you. But it basically does everything.
Last edited by DeepThought on January 10th, 2013, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby DeepThought » January 10th, 2013, 8:11 am

Cheers :thumb:

Unread postby stretch4x4 » January 10th, 2013, 8:14 am

Been here a while

Here are some screens from the system hooked into my Cruiser.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postby DeepThought » January 10th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Wow that is cool!
I think I have to get one.

Cheers

Unread postby stretch4x4 » January 10th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Part of the furniture

Hi, I have a 1998 3rzfe which has an OBD2 port near the clutch pedal, but it is not obd2 compliant . why they put the port in and not make it work, i dont know. Apparently from what I could find on the net , all Hiluxes only became compliant in 2006. so I would be very interested to see how you go wit this. maybe diesels became compliant earlier.
I also bought a bluetooth OBD2 thing so I could read the codes with my laptop ( or android phone if you have one) but cant make it work.

Unread postby typhoeus » January 10th, 2013, 7:21 pm

OBD2 seems to have become a common standard mostly these days, helped by America making it compulsory on all new cars.
But before that there were heaps of different standards. Toyota used one called m-OBD which is what our 79 series have, unfortunately OBD2 is not compatible. So you might get lucky with this cable and software instead.

Unread postby stretch4x4 » January 10th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Been here a while

The blurb on the Techstream says that is works on all vehicles since 1996. Now I bought the gadget from eBay "Hoping" that it would work. It was cheap enough to take the risk. It works and as far as I know my 2001 build HDJ79 is as prehistoic a engine protocal as they get so it might work on the '98 Lux as well. $27 you really can't go wrong, if it doesn't work then sell it someone with a later model for $50. Ohhh thats the capatalist coming out in me.

Happy scanning.

Unread postby DeepThought » January 10th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Return to General Tech