View topic - Mazda bravo fuel economy

Mazda bravo fuel economy

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Part of the furniture

Mazda bravo fuel economy

hey guys

yesterday i was topping up at the pump and i filled up 38 litres, and that was after only travelling 208kms. So that equates to nearly 19ltrs per hundred kays. This is a 2.6l petrol 4 cylinder......why is it using this much fuel???? I am a pretty considerate driver, dont thrash it at all, and it isnt lifted, tyres arent big (205's or 215's from memory) and it has the normal alum bullbar, sidesteps canopy etc. I dont tow anything or hav a load at the back, any ideas wat could be causing this? thanks

Unread postby 4low » September 9th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Been here a while

Re:Mazda bravo fuel economy

Sounds like it may have a drinking problem to me :) :)

But seriously - petrol engined 4wd utes seem to have a disproportionate thirst, I have put 40 litres in my previous Rodeo (which was 2.6 petrol) after 250 ks of running around town - Which comes out at 16 litres/100ks. Thrashing it around in the bush was much worse, but I never measured it
So i went into denial for a while and eventully put it on gas just to cut the cost. Gas used to go about 19-20 per hundred, but at less than half the price it was an improvement

Unread postby Nig » September 9th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Avid Poster

There probably could be a lot of things causing poor fuel economy.

I'd make sure that the brakes aren't dragging (jack up and spin each wheel - might be other causes of wheel drag, too).

Good tyre pressures.

Engine maintained and tuned (a dose of carby/injector cleaner probably wouldn't hurt occasionally).

Wheel alignment?

Make sure that no vacuum hoses have been knocked off (happens a lot).

Unread postby RoddQLD » September 9th, 2005, 6:04 pm

Part of the furniture

thanks guys

i know it needs a wheel alignment and next scheduled tune up is coming up. The tyre pressures are all good. thanks for the tips again. Cyaz

Unread postby 4low » September 10th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Here and there

sounds like your doing alright there on the fuel side of things i was speaking to a mazda mechanic when i had my bravo (deisel) and he said 26l/100 was very common

Unread postby rotaboy » September 12th, 2005, 9:21 pm

I'm new, be nice!

WHEN I USED TO WORK FOR MAZDA WE PUT A RESISTOR IN LINE ON THE TEMPRETURE SENSOR CANT REMEMBER FOR THE LIFE OF ME WHAT IT WAS RATED AT BUT STOPED THEM FROM DRINKING SO MUCH. I WOULD SEE A MAZDA DEALER AND ASK THEM ABOUT IT SEE WHAT THEY SAY....... ;D

Unread postby RASMAN » September 14th, 2005, 4:14 pm

Part of the furniture

[quote author=rotaboy link=board=5;threadid=11959;start=0#msg210843 date=1126524081]
sounds like your doing alright there on the fuel side of things i was speaking to a mazda mechanic when i had my bravo (deisel) and he said 26l/100 was very common
[/quote]

Holy f#$%......26l per hundred, maybe i should keep my mouth shut lol. With figures like that i'd be afraid to go to the petrol station to fill up

Unread postby 4low » September 14th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Part of the furniture

[quote author=RASMAN link=board=5;threadid=11959;start=0#msg211690 date=1126678470]
WHEN I USED TO WORK FOR MAZDA WE PUT A RESISTOR IN LINE ON THE TEMPRETURE SENSOR CANT REMEMBER FOR THE LIFE OF ME WHAT IT WAS RATED AT BUT STOPED THEM FROM DRINKING SO MUCH. I WOULD SEE A MAZDA DEALER AND ASK THEM ABOUT IT SEE WHAT THEY SAY....... ;D
[/quote]

Cheers, i will ask about that when i go for the tune-up. I've never heard about a resistor. What does it actually do? as in how does it reduce the fuel consumption?

Unread postby 4low » September 14th, 2005, 6:17 pm

I'm new, be nice!

it tells the ECU that the car is actually runnning warmer than it is therefore leaning out the fuel mixture and getting a few more miles out of a tank!!!! ;)

Unread postby RASMAN » September 15th, 2005, 7:38 am

Part of the furniture

Thanks RASMAN, sounds like a good investment, i will definately make an inquiry and see what can be done.

Unread postby 4low » September 15th, 2005, 4:27 pm

Part of the furniture

Yeah mazdas are thirsty especialy the non efi 2.6l but putting a ressistor in makes sense but what damgae could it do???

Unread postby kingchevy » September 15th, 2005, 5:53 pm

Here and there

bravoboy I have a 98 Bravo 4wd extra cab with headers a decent 2 inch exhaust & a unichip. I am regularly getting 8km/l or 12.5l/100k's driving to/from work, must run on premium even though dyno done on unleaded as it pings a bit otherwise. If you intend to hang on to it for a fair while go with a unichip - power up an average of around 25% & no comparison before/after - even sounds good!

Unread postby chooka » September 16th, 2005, 8:14 pm

I'm new, be nice!

I had a 97 d/cab bravo and had same prob. had inj. flow tested & cleaned. always serviced every 5,000k. checked codes in computer-nothing. someone had told me about the resistor mod but never chased it up. someone also told me of a throttle body mod using xf falcon t/body. i also rang unichip but they said they hadn't had a lot of success with curing prob. In the end I just put up with it until i sold it. its a shame really because i loved the truck did evrything i wanted it to do with comfort to boot. now have vr commodore powered hilux v6 & auto & prob better fuel economy than bravo.

Unread postby HI3800 » September 30th, 2005, 8:57 am

Part of the furniture

The car finally had the tune-up earlier this weak and and exhaust manifold leak and dirty fuel filter were found. The guy said the manifold leak probably is contributing to the poor fuel economy so got a new exhaust manifold gasket and a clean fuel filter. He also said maybe a set of extractors might help the problem as long as i dont thrash it ;). So now i'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens, fingers crossed. Thanks again for the help

Unread postby 4low » September 30th, 2005, 3:15 pm

Return to General Tech