View topic - Hilux diesel oil service schedule

Hilux diesel oil service schedule

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
I'm new, be nice!

Hilux diesel oil service schedule

Interested to hear a friends Mercedes diesel is serviced when the computer says so, which is five times in last 125000 km. Huge difference to every 5000 km for my Toyota. Any ideas why the huge difference? Can the oil condition be that different?

Unread postby Farrier » August 3rd, 2005, 10:10 pm

Need to get out more

Re:Hilux diesel oil service schedule

i think it has a lot to do with the oil capacity hiluxs only take 5L so it gets durty real quick. and the type of motor because some motors run cleaner than others. a neighbor of ours has a new truck and get only gets an oil change every 100 000km. but it has to have some super oil that costs a bomb. i figure 5L of oil is only $25 so it cheap insurence so know the motor will keep going strong.

Unread postby Grimsey » August 3rd, 2005, 10:44 pm

Part of the furniture

The Merc has a more advanced engine that burns fule more efficiently, so less carbon in the oil. Engine is probly a lot tighter than the Yota mill too.... 8)

Unread postby Fenring » August 4th, 2005, 12:48 am

Here and there

Hi Guys,
If you dont want a huge engine rebuilding bill....keep changing your oil every 5000k's & oil filter every 10000k's!.
The type of driving we mostly do today is stop/start which is one of the hardest types of load you can put on an engine. The engines very rarely reach full operating temp....makes me shudder when I think about the wear occuring in a cold motor. Why do taxis & courier vehicles engines last so long....because they have regular oil changes & very rarely get cold.
Sure the large truck only has an oil change every 100000k's....but it still has its filters changed every 25000k's & oil topped up.....it also has a filtration system that far exceeds the set ups on our smaller vehicles.
Just use a good quality oil....doesn't have to be the most expensive on the shelf & try use middle of the range or better oil filters....& it will keep purring along!

P.S. Remember to dispose of old oil properly!

Unread postby oldfart1953 » August 9th, 2005, 3:34 am

Avid Poster

My cruiser takes just under 11 litres of oil. Toyota recommends every 5000 k's oil change, 10000 k's filter.

Oil 2500 k's in extreme circumstances.

Booklet printed in 1986. (?)

Unread postby RoddQLD » August 9th, 2005, 9:25 am

Need to get out more

personaly id change the filter with every oil change as it holds dirty oil

Unread postby cpt-mud » August 9th, 2005, 9:52 am

Need to get out more

[quote author=cpt-mud link=board=5;threadid=10985;start=0#msg194818 date=1123545150]
personaly id change the filter with every oil change as it holds dirty oil
[/quote]
Me too ;)

IMO all oil changes shoul have all of the oil changed as it gets acidic.

Unread postby baby_troupe » August 9th, 2005, 1:42 pm

Here and there

Hi Guys,
That fine changing the filter every 5,000k's....If you change your oil every 5,000k's or 3 months all your engine internals will be bright & shiney & your changing it (the filter) will be an overkill.
Wish I lived near you & owned a filter shop!.
Cheers

Unread postby oldfart1953 » August 9th, 2005, 5:20 pm

Avid Poster

Yes, I agree that the sooner you change your oil and filter the better.
Don't get me wrong as I'm not trying to be critical but
oil would start to built up acid and gunk from the first instance that you use it. After a while the oil (and filter)would get to a stage where it's begins to get too saturated with the acid and gunk to provide good enough lubrication and protection. It would be too difficult for the average person to be able to know when this is. We need to rely on the manufacturer/oil engineers to advise us.

I would like to think that oils have improved since my manual was printed (1986), I don't know by how much that might be. It doesn't appear that the filters have changed that much, tho.

I feel that 5000 k's for the oil, and 10,000 k's is ok.
Toyota does say 2500 k's for the oil in extreme circumstances so for those that do a lot of off road (between oil/filter changes) you are probably correct.

It is interesting to note that the owners manual states:
Dry fill: 13 litres
Refill (with filter): 10.7 litres
Refil (without filter): 9.1 litres

This suggests that 2.3 litres of old oil remains in the oil channels after changing to new oil and a filter.
If you don't change the filter then 3.8 litres of old oil will remain in the engine.

I can only assume that the Toyota engineers believed that when you change only you oil then the acids and gunks would be diluted enough until the next change.

Once again, tho, I agree that changing the oil filter with every oil change can do no harm and may be beneficial.

Unread postby RoddQLD » August 9th, 2005, 7:07 pm

Need to get out more

i would rather overkill on the servicing, saves money in the long run. when i was a courier, changeg the oil and filter ever 5000km ond got 750 000 km out of the motor

Unread postby cpt-mud » August 9th, 2005, 7:08 pm

Avid Poster

I've gotta ask: if you didn't change the filter do you know that you wouldn't have got 700,000 k's.

My cruiser has 495,000 k's and still going strong. As far as I know it has only had filter and oil changes at recommended
intervals. Couriers and taxis usually get higher k's out of their vehicles.

Unread postby RoddQLD » August 9th, 2005, 7:14 pm

Here and there

i change oil at 5000 to 10000 ks my car runs min 1 hr each way to work and always warmed up properly longer the travelling time then i would lean towards 10000 for oil and 5ish for filter and top up with clean new oil or depends on how you drive thats how i did my 1st lux no probs i was doing 1500 ks a week for work

Unread postby als4b » August 9th, 2005, 7:43 pm

Avid Poster

I remember reading an article in Wheels (?) a long time ago, about acids in engine oil. Back then they said that one of the main problems with using a car for short trips was that any acid build up in the oil didn't get a chance to get boiled off.

They used an example of a car that had been purchase not long before the start of WW2. It was a luxury car that had/was only being used for short trips. When the war got underway and the government wanted to confiscate cars for the 'war effort' the owner hid it away in a shed.

I'm not sure if the owner got killed in the war or not, but it was said that after the war the car was discovered in pristine condition. The only problem was that the engine was stuffed due to the damage caused by the acid in the oil!!

Unread postby RoddQLD » August 9th, 2005, 8:02 pm

Part of the furniture

Well my 3.2 Navara gets new oil and and filter every 5 thou. My grease monkey tells me don't bother, leave it to 10 tou. All the same I do it every 5 thou. It also gets STP oil additive as well.

Unread postby Fenring » August 9th, 2005, 8:47 pm

Here and there

LN106 '93 296 847Km, Valvoline 15/40 diesel oil, Ryco Z9 filters ,5000K change intervals .Cheap as periwinkle for peace of mind. Do your own sums

Unread postby sarg » August 9th, 2005, 9:08 pm

Return to General Tech