Decision time - 4WD Purchase

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Mitch09
I'm new, be nice!

Decision time - 4WD Purchase

Unread post by Mitch09 » February 10th, 2019, 8:35 pm

After months of consideration, I have narrowed down my next 4WD purchase down to two: a 2010-ish Patrol and a 2012-ish Pajero.

Ive got a budget of around $20-25k to spend and for the growing fam it needs to be a 7-seater. Its replacing my current 2008 FG Falc, so I want to avoid going backwards in terms of age, milage and safety. The misso will be driving this during the week so automatic it must be, but I do want to set it up for some form of moderate touring. Now I won't be thrashing this ride on the most hardcore tracks, but I do want to be able to do all popular trips and tracks around the country at some stage. Towing isn't planned either, and yes obviously this thing will be diesel.

So based on that, the dual cab utes are out (not enough seating) and no DC ute-based wagons really ticked our boxes either which I won't bore you with. $25k doesn't get you much in the way of modern Toyota's (that doesnt have a ******** of milage) so LC's and Prado's get the chop as well. In a nutshell, thats how its been narrowed down to a 2010-ish Patrol and a 2012-ish Pajero.

What I want to know from the 4WD community is this: what are common things of each of those approximate age of these specific vehicles do I need to keep an eye out, and what are absolute necessary or wise preventitive upgrades? Patrol guys, what do I need to look out for? Pajero folks, anything out of the ordinary? I do have an above a average of mechanical knowledge so let me know.

And yep, I understand the mechanical differences amd abilities between these two on and off-road. Both appeal for various reasons. I'm not really looking for comparitive opinions here, just vehicle-specifics before I slap twenty-odd grand.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

PS: whilst this particular forum seems pretty sensible, please spare me the hardcore fanboyism or telling my choices suck. Prefer real owners and professional wrenchers as well; I don't want to hear about a mate of a mate's dogs owner's mother in laws sister Patrol! 😂

janddbone
Getting to know the place

Re: Decision time - 4WD Purchase

Unread post by janddbone » March 5th, 2019, 1:18 am

Not as detailed as you like.... Pajero all the way for your needs... (I am not biased as I own a Rover...)

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”