Overheating Hilux - what can it be?

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Hotlux
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Overheating Hilux - what can it be?

Unread post by Hotlux » February 2nd, 2014, 10:25 pm

image.jpg
Is this the belly plate in question.

Thanks guys, I had turned the fuel down before I dropped it off for the dyno....

Pretty pissed off really with the dyno tune!

There's a local fella with a dyno and I hope to get some time on that and tune it by air/fuel myself. The old saying 'good help is hard to find' applies here, even when your paying good money for it!

Have you ever had yours on a dyno 94 lux, just curious to compare some realistic wheel HP figures. Also, what rpm do the 4.5 gears run at 110?

Thanks

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » February 3rd, 2014, 9:17 am

Havnt had mine on the dyno. I wanted to but the diesel mech I used only does real world testing. E.g up and down the street, tune it, up and down the street, tune it again. That kind of tuning. I dropped mine there with overheating issues because of fuel. And came back still getting hot. So my theory is, do it yourself.

With Hp figures I'm pretty sure about 100 is normal with a ct20 turbo running 11-12psi. So I'm guessing 110 with a aftermarket turbo, 11-12 psi and a intercooler

Doing 110ks, it's pretty much spot on 3000.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 3rd, 2014, 9:31 am

Don't forget that the dyno is simply a 'rolling road' that's a TOOL for the tuner, it just makes it easier to apply loads and test the vehicle under 'on road' conditions!! So, in this instance anyway, it's NOT the DYNO that's important, it's the rep and skills of the diesel tuner!! Even the best dyno tune is really only doing what 94 turbo has done above, it's how much skill and experience goes in to setting the pump & Inj system up properly to get the best out of it, and one of those things is making sure that under load at speed with dropping boost & revs it doesn't get high EGT's!!! If it still gets high EGT's like that after being 'tuned' by anyone, you didn't get value for money in that job.....

So ask around, look for info on the reputation, experience, and skills of the Diesel Tuner you are thinking of using, and if those all suggest they can do a good job, then you might do OK with them. If they happen to have a dyno as well, that's great, it shows they are using all the tools available to them in order to do the best job they can, but if they don't and they've STILL got a good rep, you might well be on a winner there!! Berrima Diesel over many years managed to develop and enhance a reputation as one of the best Diesel Tuning places in the country, but for most of those years they didn't have a dyno at all - didn't hurt them much, cos they did have a nice bit of road not too far away where they could 'real world' test the state of tune on the vehicles they worked on. And now they've got a dyno, they still use that section of road/hill at times! ;)

So don't get too carried away with the need for a dyno, that's just a tool, and like any other tool, it's only as good as the person wielding it - that person is the one you need to check up on and make sure that they know what they are on about; and if they don't want to talk to you about what you want/need from the vehicle &/or what the concerns you have with it that prompted you to bring it in actually are, then maybe you don't want to leave the vehicle with them! It tends to make them think about their approach pretty smartly if you get there and decide during the drop off procedure that they aren't the people to let touch your car. Saying "Nope, not happy with what you are telling me" and driving away is your prerogative!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

davatartwo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by davatartwo » March 10th, 2018, 9:48 am

I am new too... I have a 1992 LN106 2.8 Diesel HiLux Dualcab which I have had since 1995. It's stock standard & has about 226,000Ks on the clock. I have ALWAYS done my oil changes at 5000Ks or less. Lately, it's been overheating. I put a new thermostat in about 7 years ago, a new radiator cap & fluid last year. Now I have noticed it is overheating again when towing if I exceed about 85 or 90 kph even at night.. I slacken off and/or go down to 4th gear & the needle comes back to normal. The worst is just lately it's doing it on a day when I'm not towing if I push it along in 5th gear. I have just yesterday put some Nulon engine flush in the engine, ran the motor, & flushed the oil; & then put in a new filter & oil but haven't had a chance to take it for a run yet.
What was the outcome/fix of all your and the others problems..????Any help appreciated Davatartwo

davatartwo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by davatartwo » March 21st, 2018, 5:31 pm

Hello I'm back again. I have just installed a genuine Toyota thermostat and radiator cap. The new thermostat looked different to the old one so I checked on the part number before I tested it and the old one in a billy. As the water came to the boil I could see the new one working . The old one failed to open even in boiling water for 10 - 15 seconds.. So the new one is in & the new radiator cap is on..
The overheating is only noticeable when I try to go over 80kph so i need to go on the highway to test it...
It is raining now & cooler so as soon as the weather fines up I'll try it out... Fingers crossed.... davatartwo

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 21st, 2018, 6:26 pm

That sounds like good news Davatartwo! :thumb:

Don't forget to do the fast idle thing for a while to get any air pockets out of the cooling system, a couple of cycles of the thermostat or viscous fan should do it, but that might take 20-30 mins on a coldish day while the vehicle is stopped & the engine isn't loaded up!! Get that sorted before you hit the road on a hot day & with any luck, you'll have it sorted! ;)

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

davatartwo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by davatartwo » March 21st, 2018, 6:51 pm

Replacing the thermostat. I did it the easy way. Drained a couple of litres of fluid from the radiator and then undid the 2 nuts & bolt from the thermostat housing & lifted & moved it to one side without removing the top radiator hose. Replacing the thermostat took no time at all. I have been reading all the posts with interest & specially the ones regarding removal of the bash plate under the motor. That is something I did years ago to make access underneath easier and..... the metal seemed so thin & pathetic. I still have it and replacing it will be the next task....davatartwo

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 21st, 2018, 7:23 pm

You could get a heavy duty bash plate - but running one is pretty important for getting the correct airflow thru the rad & engine compartment then out underneath the vehicle to help keep the cooling system working properly AND to keep all the bits underneath cooled in the appropriate manner! :thumb:

davatartwo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by davatartwo » March 26th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Hi Guys. Back again. I have now fitted the original sump bash plate along with a new thermostat and radiator cap and on Saturday I put my box trailer on the back and took the HiLux for a run up to 100Kph for several k's on the highway. The temperature gauge never moved above the half way mark so I am one happy chappy. Thanks Peter for all your advice.....davatartwo

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 26th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Bewdy! :thumb:

Glad it all worked for you... finally! ;)

allycol
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by allycol » April 8th, 2018, 9:19 am

Just a thought when we turbo a engine the thing that happens you raise compression. More compression more heat. Are 2.8 designed for a turbo ? Would we then have to lower compression first.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 8th, 2018, 9:56 am

Allycol, here's only really significantly more heat produced if you also add more fuel when you fit a turbo to a diesel engine, and yes, many do that without thinking about what it can do to the internal temps, which are reflected in raised EGT's - too much fuel means EGT's can get up to the 'metal starts getting compromised' level of about 600 deg C, and if you go over that or hold it up there for too long, things can go BOOM!! That is pistons & conrods OUTSIDE the block type boom!! So be VERY CAREFUL when increasing the fuel after fitting a turbo or even just winding the fuel up to get more power - ideally, that should be done by a good diesel tuner (with professional insurance) who knows what they are doing & knows what to avoid doing - just a tiny bit too much fuel, maybe just 1/16th of a turn of the fuel screw, can mean that your engine might rapidly become scrap metal with a loud noise & a monument to your bravado & foolishly thinking that you are capable of doing it properly yourself! Do you really need to ask me how I KNOW that!?! :o

Return to “General Tech”