View topic - Sand spear?

Sand spear?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
Been here a while

Sand spear?

Hey all, well we finally ordered our own camper trailer the other day and we can't wait. Anyway, now we are getting pretty well set-up and the boy is getting older we are looking at going to more remote places and for longer periods of time. The power situation is sorted and the trailer will have a water tank but I was looking at different stuff on the net as you do and found this site about sand spears.

http://motorcare.com.au/sspear.htm

My question is has any one had any experience with these and is it as simple and as good as it seems? Am I right in reading the water would be fresh even from the ocean side? Even if I couldn't drink it but just wash dishes and us in it it would meen we could save the tank water for purely drinking. Any thoughts?

Matt

Unread postby muddy » March 26th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Been here a while

We used one on Moreton and more places are looking to ban the use of sand spears which is a shame.

We never drank from it, but showered, washed dishes etc and hosed the vehicles down. We tanked it into plastic 44 gallon drums.

Can be hard work getting down enough but worth it when completed.

Unread postby Jeepster » March 27th, 2007, 8:19 am

Part of the furniture

why would they ban sand spears ?
gET A LIFE GET A 4WD...!!!!!!

Unread postby dirtygq » March 27th, 2007, 9:21 am

Been here a while

Jeepster wrote:We used one on Moreton and more places are looking to ban the use of sand spears which is a shame.

We never drank from it, but showered, washed dishes etc and hosed the vehicles down. We tanked it into plastic 44 gallon drums.

Can be hard work getting down enough but worth it when completed.

So it would be reasonably fresh then?? Its not a gimick? How salty was it still?

Unread postby muddy » March 27th, 2007, 3:00 pm

Part of the furniture

mate the sand works a filter and pulls the salt out over time(apparently)before it goes to where you extract it,it tastes unsalty to me (that was at moreton)

Unread postby dirtygq » March 27th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Need to get out more

dirtygq wrote:why would they ban sand spears ?

Cause so many people use the pit type toilet up the beach and people were getting sick.....Its a load of crap(no pun intended) but as usual the minority reck it for the majority.

I have one and they are great, might have to dig a bit but well worth it.
TOY - 79 BJ40 in 1000 bits

[align=center][b][font=Arial Black]TOW/TOURER - 03 V8 100S WITH GOOD BITS TOO[/fo

Unread postby Bundy » March 27th, 2007, 3:49 pm

Been here a while

This shows the flow out of the sand at Fraser
And they were using it for this

Unread postby HeathGQ » March 27th, 2007, 3:50 pm

Need to get out more

we use 2 spears at fraser every time we go. like already said, you wouldn't drink it but we shower and wash dishes with the water. we actually run one as a hose for cleaning fish and washing our hands after going to the toilet, and the other is run to a instantanious gas hot water system which is hooked up to the shower set up.
basically when you camp on the beach it all depends on how high up the dunes you are as to how hard it will be to get water. we usually end up digging a metre to a metre and a half deep hole until we find water starting to seep through the sand, this isn't mandatory but we do it to make sure we get a good flow of water, and we refill the hole in to bury the spear so as it can't easily be stolen, and so no kids fall in the hole. all you then need is a 12V power supply to the pump and away it goes.
we took water out of the pump (sand spear) one year at fraser and bottled it to get it tested by a friend, but unfortunately we should have refridgerated it after bottling it, so the water couldn't be tested to see what it was actually like. maybe we are better off not knowing.

Unread postby rumpig » March 27th, 2007, 5:48 pm

Part of the furniture

HeathGQ wrote:This shows the flow out of the sand at Fraser
And they were using it for this

way cool :cool: :cool: last time we used a friends at moreton ...what are they worth to buy ?

Unread postby dirtygq » March 27th, 2007, 6:45 pm

Been here a while

That motor care site said $730 or so for spear and pump but am curious to price others. BCF have 1500mm spears on special for 350 at the moment but not sure on different lengths available or required yet??

Unread postby muddy » March 27th, 2007, 10:21 pm

Part of the furniture

muddy wrote:That motor care site said $730 or so for spear and pump but am curious to price others. BCF have 1500mm spears on special for 350 at the moment but not sure on different lengths available or required yet??
at bcf is that with sureflo pump ?

Unread postby dirtygq » March 28th, 2007, 7:50 am

Part of the furniture

BundyMonkey wrote:Cause so many people use the pit type toilet up the beach and people were getting sick.....Its a load of crap(no pun intended) but as usual the minority reck it for the majority.

I have one and they are great, might have to dig a bit but well worth it.

I know people who won't camp up at teewah at all anymore because they're worried about getting sick just from walking about up there :)
"If the roof and doors don't come off it's just another Camry"

[SIZE="1"]TJ lifted with MTRs, SYE conversion, susp airbags, swaybar discos, 4.11 diff ratios with ARB lockers.[/SIZE]
My Shed

Unread postby Jeeps » March 28th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Need to get out more

they are good, they are a must for sand camping if you need to increase your water capabilities over a long period of time, but it only really filters the sand out, not the salt, sand will kill your pumps big time even if you are pumping out of a bucket, so you really need to filter the water.

There is always the chance when you dig your hole that it might be close to someones elses previous dunny.
How deep you need to dig will vary depending on where you are and how much flow you want.
Prices will vary depending on stainless quality and size.
Just remember you have to store it somewhere when travelling as well.
2005 GU PATROL
82 SWB MQ PATROL COMP RIG
Come visit my store in Hervey Bay www.coastal4x4.com.au

Unread postby 2 BRUTAL » March 28th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Need to get out more

As far as I know GLIND are the only manufacturers of the sand spear so why not deal direct ?

http://www.glind.com.au/htm/product.asp

Unread postby Big Boots » March 28th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Been here a while

They had a stall setup at the 4x4 show in Brissie last year selling them directly with "special show discounts".

The 4x4 show is on again this weekend so if you're around this area and want a live demo you should go along.

Unread postby tumoit » March 29th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Next

Return to Camping